Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Road to Running

This is it. This week is the beginning of my training. I’m going to run a marathon this year.

I’m not entirely new to the sport of running. I was on the high school cross country team (battling it out with three other girls for last place). I’m not a fast runner. But I love it for so many deep and superficial reasons.

1. When I run a lot, I look good and can eat guilt free.
2. Running is the cheapest therapy there is.
3. I feel accomplished.
4. The dog gets exercise.

I’ve done about 8 half marathons over the course of the past few years, so I think I’m ready (or hope I’m ready) to tackle this next challenge. I’m using Joe Henderson’s 100 day program to your best race. The training involves longer miles on the weekend, but pretty short and easy runs during the week, which I think will work best for my ever hectic lifestyle (she says from the comfort of her home computer while nestled snuggly in her pajamas at 3 in the afternoon).

Wish me luck! The goal is to be ready to Rock ‘n’ Roll at the Seattle Washington Marathon on June 27th, 2009. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. And, somehow a few friends and I also got into the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco this October. So, I guess I really am going to accomplish this goal this year, one way or another!



No comments:

Post a Comment