Friday, June 26, 2009

Wedding Weekends...

Falling in love – again. Its wedding season, and I believe every year there are more and more weddings to go to. Is this part of growing up, or something to do with the population boom? This past weekend Steve and I were lucky to be a part of Fred and Kassi’s wedding. Fred is Steve’s childhood buddy, and as best man in our wedding and Steve in theirs (tit for tat), Steve had the honor of not only giving a speech, but also reading during the wedding. It’s a little ironic I guess, but my friend Mara told me (at her wedding earlier this year); weddings are usually more sentimental and meaningful to the people who are already married. When you get down to the vows, and the readings and the speeches… it all means a little bit more when you can put them into context with your own experience and relationship. That is definitely true – but it was something else about this wedding that made me realize how lucky I am. I think in the day to day rituals of life, you see your partner in a certain way. I see Steve on the couch, or mowing the lawn, or going off to work. I see him at soccer games, playing with the dog, or going out to eat. When you see something new and interesting that little part of your brain goes “oh yeah, I forgot about that… he really is great!”. Steve gave a wonderful reading and speech – pausing at the right moments, smiling at the crowd. When I confessed that I was impressed with his articulation Steve simply said “um, yeah – I was the “reader” in high school ‘cause I’m so great at it.” (back to typical Steve – I guess the star can only burn so bright for so long). I don’t know if it’s the season, or the weddings, or perhaps its just settling into the routine of an old married couple (we’ve started playing games of Scrabble at night, and I’ve quickly become out-matched- Steve got 87 points off the word Booze the other night!) but whatever it is, I realize how very lucky I am to have someone so funny and caring in my life. Oh, and the other really fun thing about the wedding this weekend – they had a photo-booth. I highly recommend this to anyone thinking about it. Photo-booths rule!
















The old High-school gang at Mara and Eric's wedding.
































No comments:

Post a Comment