Thursday, July 9, 2009

iRobot

What is that soft humming sound in the background? Is that a remote controlled airplane? No. Hmmm, Wow – your house, your house looks so clean, and vibrant. Did you just vacuum and sweep? You did! Oh you sort of did? How does that work?

iClean…. Barely… I mean it does… I’m getting lazy though.

Well, wonder no more. I’ve done it. I feel like a Japanese business man, coming home to find my house clean, my toilet warmed, my laundry pressed. I bought a robot.

It doesn’t have a name yet. We’re still getting to know each other. Our personalities. Our likes and dislikes (it likes pet hair and dirt. But hates when it can’t find its home to rest and recharge). I think something like … R2D2 or maybe just the generic Roomba name it came with is a little too predictable. Perhaps my robot will be named Harold or Inspector. He’s no Jetson’s Rosie, but he does the job, and he does the job well!

If you’ve ever watched Arrested Development you might be familiar with the earlier generation of this robot. A Robot is seemingly a luxury for the rich, who typically have maids to do this sort of thing anyway. But a friend of mine introduced me to a site called Woot: www.woot.com/. Their moto is: “One day, One Deal”. They sell refurbished or discounted technology equipment. And this little site allowed me to adopt my new best friend. Biff. No – too bulky of a name. Jerry, Ruben, Roo? Well, whatever we call him… I’m delighted that he’s mine.

Is it wrong that I like to watch him sleep (sweep)? Such a sweet 'lil guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment