Friday, July 9, 2010

First Appointment

June 11th, 2010

Finally, our first doctor’s appointment was scheduled. I even called ahead a few days before to ensure we were going to get an ultrasound. Affirmative.

According to my calculations (as I adjust the glasses on my face while writing code in my head) – we should be about 8 weeks pregnant. Steve and I were so excited and nervous to finally meet our little baby Nugget for the first time.

Walking into the hospital was like walking through a hybrid between a golf resort and Nordstrom. Directly across from the revolving doors is a beautiful outdoor fountain and patio area with views of the Flatirons. To the left was a piano player seated directly in front of the Espresso bar and café. According to the Boulder Foothills Hospital website, there is also an amazing restaurant somewhere on the premises.

We go up to the second floor and sit down in the waiting room. Finally we are called back into the sterile examining room and obliged to answer a barrage of genetic and hereditary information. After what seemed like an eternity we finally get to meet our doctor. Steve and I both immediately like her. She’s a typical Boulder professional, with a demeanor that screams – I played college (insert sport here) and a tan that says – I love the outdoors. After a brief exam we walk over to the ultrasound room (one door away).

It’s difficult to even articulate how amazing it was to see our baby on the screen for the first time. With his/her giant head and little arms, it was miraculous to see Nugget waving around and kicking. And when the doctor let us listen to the heart beat, Steve immediately squeezed my hand tighter, and although there is disagreement on the following fact – I do believe I saw tears in his eyes above the giant smile on his face.
Neither of us can remember if the heart beat was in the 140s or 160s, but it was good and strong and our little Baby Nugget so far was looking good.

We are officially 8 weeks, 5 days along, with a due date of January 16, 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. We heard the news from the family and we are so happy for both of you. Glad you love your doctor, that makes all the difference. And he or she is absolutely adorable. Tell baby Nugget that we love him/her and can't wait for him/her to be born. By the way, are you finding out what you are having? Take care. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! The baby posts begin! I am sooooo very excited for you two. I can't believe that your little nugget looks so much like a real little person already! I swear I couldn't make anything out of our first ultrasound! Can't wait to hear more info about the little one and you. Hope you are feeling well. BTW, if you don't know about it yet, I love this website: http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy Check it out! Ok, take care and LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete