Monday, June 2, 2014

Racing

I signed up for another Half Marathon, the former Boulder Backroads. Its a beautiful course on mostly dirt roads. I didn't train as well as I should have, and it was a very hot day (this I kept telling myself) as I woke up with a scratchy sore throat, but I was looking forward to the run and the scenery. I actually made a little list in my head of things I was noticing. My accomplishments of the day. Ran 13.1 Miles. Passed a miniature pony, was passed by ZZ Top (one of them anyway). But my funny little list took a tragic turn. A runner had collapsed about 400 feet from the finish line - and unfortunately, I and many other runners had to run by a woman getting chest compressions as her friends looked on. Surreal and very tragic I was a little shaken up as I drove home. 

As the day wore on I (slight propensity for hypochondria) kept asking Steve if I "felt hot". I just knew I had a fever, and ... then suddenly, I just realized why my throat hurt. I drove myself to urgent care and within the hour was diagnosed with Strep throat. (for the second time this year, mind you). The perils of toddlers. So, I felt even better about my half marathon that morning. Hey, I didn't die (too soon? too soon?) AND, I ran with strep. 


 On a lighter note, my friend Patty talked me into running the Bolder Boulder with her. Its one of the largest road races in the world. Its fantastic! We had a great time, and it was so fun to run with a friend, in a light hearted event.

No comments:

Post a Comment