Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 10 Helsinki 8/18/09

A cold and rainy day to start our tour of Helsinki. Steve and I decided to skip the bus or trams and walk into town instead. It wasn’t too long before we were meandering on a dirt path between the harbor and parks leading to the city. We found a skate park, which we turned into Parkour (freestyle walking) and played around a bit on the ramps, tables and jumps. We walked up to a beautiful church… got lost, and finally found the main downtown area. Outside the downtown it seemed that no one was around. Even the downtown wasn’t too crowded. Apparently, Finland is one of Europe’s most sparsely populate countries, with 17 people per sq-km.

Our first stop was the Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma. We got a free audio tour on little iPods. Such a great idea. The art was very cool. I think contemporary art museums are my favorite. Lots of paintings, photography & film work with deeper social commentary and underlying themes.



After the museum we walked a short distance to the Cathedral and Senate Square. Magnificent buildings. We then wandered around to see the Uspenski cathedral, which was much more ornate that most churches. We had a quick bite to eat and zigzagged through local markets. All-in-all, it was a full day in Finland. I think we walked at least 6 miles all over town! We arrived back at the ship thoroughly worn out. I think we might still be recovering a bit from our full and amazing day in Sweden.

We decided to skip the formal dinner and instead eat on our own. Shushi! Steve of course was in heaven… you get to fill your own boat and its all you can eat. To be honest it was delicious too! Good sushi- travel-gambling – I’m afraid Steve will never want to leave.

Entertainment tonight was an Irish comedic/singer who gave us a Hoolie! Billy Boyle I believe… either my dad got all his material from this guy, or this guy stole it from my dad. Scary. I seriously knew all the jokes and songs. So, if you ever need a new career Dad, I think you could make the rounds as a cruise ship entertainer.

I’ve also had the Monty python “Finland” song in my head for 2 days! Its driving me a bit insane… here it is!



Finland, Finland, Finland,
The country where I want to be,
Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall.Finland,
Finland, Finland.Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.


Doing some rad jumps!













Sarah and Steve in Senate Square


Steve at the Museum of Modern Art
















Sarah at the Museum



No comments:

Post a Comment