Monday, September 21, 2009

The Lessons I've learned...

Its not that I’m overly confident – I don’t think. Perhaps its just that I’m not that smart… anymore. I figure, hey, I’ve done it once and survived – how hard can it be? Maybe its just that in the past I’ve been lucky. Or, that I was in relatively good shape, and managed to feel alright. I don’t claim to be fast, or brave, or intelligent – and clearly my latest race effort has justified that. On a whim, or rather as an impetus to get my running back on track I signed up for the Boulder half marathon. These are the things that I learned yesterday…

  • BBQ’s, Beer Pong and general shenanigans do NOT make one fast – especially the night before a race.
  • Sheer Will does not replace training
  • Reese’s Pieces don’t count as pre-race fuel
  • 13.1 miles at altitude with rolling hills is not a “fun time”.
  • If you’re going to run, try to do it at sea level
  • Short shorts and a hot day = chaffing.
  • Bloody Mary’s don’t count as daily vegetable servings.
  • Bratwurts, chips, beer and pizza sticks aren’t really carbo-loading
  • Taking a break from running for over a month is not tapering.

I ran this race with headphones, since all my friend’s were smarter than me and refused to sign up. The songs ironically called out my impetuousness “Hurt so good” among many others. Although the race was painful, I would say I learned some valuable lessons and my running is back on track – if, for no other reason, than to avoid the pain of having been severely under trained. I guess this was a lesson I had to learn the hard way.

2 comments:

  1. Umm I think I will learn the same lesson next month =). - the ocho (for 11 more months)

    ReplyDelete