Thursday, February 18, 2010

Age is Opportunity

Age is opportunity no less,
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away,
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Morituri Salutamus


I can hardly believe that 30 has already come and gone, and 31 has propelled me well into pre-middle age, thirty-something-ness. I know that being in your 30’s isn’t really old, and that it far outweighs the alternative. But, it just seems perhaps when married to someone a little younger than myself, and having the same general personality as I did at 12, 17, 26… that its amazing how grown up 31 feels. Recently, when someone said that 1990 was 20 years ago I almost choked on my own tongue and fell onto the floor in spasms. My husband does joke with me how old I am, but the truth is – I think I’ll always feel like a little kid inside (think frosted mini-wheats commercials in the 80’s: The adult in me likes the wheat, but the kid in me likes the frosting).

My birthday was celebrated on several occasions during the first week of February, and I think if I had my way I would continue to celebrate it all through the month. Although, I’m sure Steve and my friends would have something not too kind to say about that. Sunday before my birthday we went to mass and then had a great brunch with mimosas and bloody marys. Yum! I went out with some of my lady friends on Monday afternoon, followed by an exquisite romantic dinner at the Boulder Cork with Steve (after bringing me home flowers and the promise of a massage at a nearby spa) and my meal was surprisingly free (note to self, signing up for restaurant emails and perks does pay off!). We also went bowling later in the week, and snowboarding over the weekend. Already, we’ve been riding more this year than last year and still have plenty of powder days to come. I love snowboarding every weekend with Steve and my friends, it’s the reason we love Colorado!

Just to iterate what a different state the world was in when I was born. Here are some notable facts about 1979.


  • The one child policy is implemented in China
  • Mr Ed the talking horse dies as does John Wayne
  • McDonald's introced the "Happy Meal".
  • The Sugar Hill Gang released the first commercial rap hit, bringing rap off the New York streets and into the popular music scene.
  • Popular movies at the time were Apocalypse Now, Superman, Kramer vs. Karamer, the Deer Hunter and The Muppet Movie.
  • Jimmy Carter was President.
  • The average house cost $58,100.00 and the annual average income was $17,500.00.
  • Mother Teresa won the Nobel Peace Prize.
  • Sony introduced the Sony Walkman costing $200.00
  • The first snowboard was invented in the USA by Daniel E. Chadwick.


No comments:

Post a Comment